Thursday, April 13, 2006

My Thoughts on Determinism vs Free Will

I figured I'd post something about this since it's a topic of interest. It's pretty interesting to me also, but my ideas about it often inhibit me from accomplishing what I must.

I largely believe in determinism because I do not believe that we are "super matter" or "special cases where the sum is greater than the parts." I believe that we are all devices that simply survived here because of the complex set of reactions that we have to our surroundings. I think that the only reason people think otherwise is because we are so incredibly efficient and effective at surviving that it is almost impossible to imagine the mechanism behind it. We learn.... how the hell can organic compounds learn? Think? Love? Feel? Well, from the way I see it, all of those things are created by our conscience to govern what we do with our lives.

Just what is free will, anyway? The ability to do what you want when you want, right? Well since when do you have control over what you want? Your wants are implanted into you by instincts, and surroundings. You cannot want to "want." In most cases, you develop adversary towards things that you don't want. Your and my response to this paragraph is, bullox, I can do whatever I want. Then, when I think and realize for a minute... what I want isn't controlled by me. It's controlled by who I am. I mean, free will doesn't really make sense if you think about it this way. How do you have control over what you want to want to want, ad infinitum? At some point, something has to determine what you want, and that is determinism.

You walk out the door with your mission set in the back of your mind. "Go to work." You know that there is a car outside. As you step out, you see stairs. This sends coding to your navagation system, setting up a strategy for how you will conquer the obstacle. This happens every tenth of a second... your brain is updated with new information based on your whereabouts, position, and sights. You can do this without even thinking. Your body navagated to the car. Because you have work. Because you want to make money. Because your brain told you what you want.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home