Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Hmm

Woooosh. I definitely didn't think about the post right before.

I wish I knew more about how they plan on replacing oil, because as far as I know, they don't currently have a replacement ready. That project with harnessing the sun's light directly sounds like it would work, but I personally think we have a bigger problem.

The problem is that as long as everyone is happy and has their energy, they're going to make babies, which means that (growth rate)x is still in effect. Right now, that growth rate is still large enough to replace those that have died and then some. I have confidence that at some point, the growth rate will lower, but if it doesn't, the population will continue to rise. What I'm basically saying is that the end behavior of an exponential growth is +∞, meaning that energy demand will approach +∞, which means that unless we can supply an infinite amount of energy (I'm not saying that it isn't possible... who knows with quantum physics) we will always have to deal with deficits. Therefore, I think that the project where we use the sun's energy directly is only a delay in the inevitable (just like the class of '06). Not that it's going to matter much, because I'll be dead by then, but we all know how you feel about that excuse, lol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home